Ulla Duell (Kramfors, 1949) is a photographer currently based in Stockholm, Sweden. She grew up in northern Sweden and has spend a large potion of her adult life traveling extensively, and has lived in Vietnam, Laos and in the small mountain kingdom of Lesotho in Southern Africa.
Prior to retiring in 2015 she worked with and wrote several books on management practices in central government, agencies, and foreign aid. Now she devotes her time solely to her photographic practice.
She’s currently working on a photographic exploration of aging and what happens to the mind and the body as we get older. In 2018 she published a limited edition of her book “One Step Closer”, see an excerpt of it here or order it directly by e-mailing. In the last few years she has continued to photograph self-portraits, but now with a focus on how the aging woman is depicted in the media and viewed by society at large.
She received an honorable mention in the 14th installment of the Julia Cameron Awards and the 14th Pollux Awards and will be exhibiting her work in Barcelona, Spain in March 2020. In September 2019 she performed in, as a part of the project Age on Stage, “Stories – A Life Cabaret” by choreographer Charlotta Överholm at Dramaten, the Royal Dramatic Theatre in Stockholm.
- Valand – Academy of Art and Design, at the University of Gothenburg, Autumn 2019, online course in photography
- Gamleby College Visual composition, one year online course 2018-2019
- New York Institute of Photography, Professional Photography Course, online course 2016-2017
- University of Stockholm, Bachelor – Business Administration 1998
- 14th Pollux Awards, Honorable Mentions in self portrait category, series, 2020
- Julia Margret Cameron Awards, 14th edition, Honorable Mentions in self portrait category, series, 2019
- Julia Margaret Cameron Award, 13th edition, Honorable Mentions in the self portrait category, 2019.
- Regional photo competition Svefo, Winner in the color category, 2017
- MUU Helsinki Contemporary Art Centre, Mirrored – photo performance exhibition, March 10-21 2021.
- 14th Pollux Awards Exhibition at the FotoNostrum Art Gallery in Barcelona, Spain, International exhibition, March 2020.
- 14th Julia Margret Cameron Award Exhibition at the FotoNostrum Art Gallery in Barcelona, Spain, International exhibition, March 2020
- CFF – The Centre for Photography, Stockholm – Salon – group exhibition, November 2019
- 13th Julia Margret Cameron Award Exhibition at the FotoNostrum Art Gallery in Barcelona, Spain, International exhibition, October 2019.
- Galleri Axel, Stockholm, graduation exhibition, May 2019.
- Mitt-Salong Östersund, Sweden. April-Maj 2019
- Planket Stockholm Sweden, August 2018
2018—Anja Hitzenberger, StrudielmediaLive: Feedback. Online.
2018—Anna Clarén, Biskops Arnö: Visual composition II. Sweden.
2017—Anja Hitzenberger, International Center of Photography: Understanding Composition for Visual storytellers. Online.
2017—Anna Clarén, Biskops Arnö: Visual composition I, Stockholm, Sweden.
2014—Göran Segeholm, Fotografiska Academy: Ditt Fotografiska År. Stockholm, Sweden.
2013—Shelby Lee Adams, Aperture: Environmental Portraiture, New York.
2013—Marcus Marcetic, Biskops Arnö: Portraiture. Stockholm, Sweden.
F-stop Magazine, Self Portrait, Issue 106, April 2021